cover design is your invitation
to the reader. It is the first thing
that will attract someone to your book. People will unconsciously see
your cover design before they even make note of your title. When
choosing a cover design, think about the feeling you want to convey to
the reader and choose colors, fonts and photos that match the theme and
feel of your book.
Most people have an idea of something
for their cover but need a professional graphic designer or illustrator
to convert the idea into a cover design. Once the overall idea of your
cover is created, you will need to start thinking about the back cover
and spine. It's a good idea to put a synopsis of the book on the back
cover because most people will turn a book over expecting to find a
description of the book. Sometimes it is also appropriate to put the
author's bio if it is particularly relevant to the book. This is also a
good place to put a few short testimonials. They don't have to be
testimonials from famous people. You can ask your friends to read the
book and then write a short testimonial. Extract a sentence or two that
makes the book sound enticing to your reader. Your barcode should go
also on the bottom of the back cover. The spine
usually consists of the
title, the author and possibly a logo or design from the front cover.
- Any images you would like us to use, including your photo.
- Final draft of all cover text, including front, back, dust cover flaps, reviews, about the book, about the author, and any spine text.
- We produce about three cover designs to choose from based on your drawings, supplied images, or verbal descriptions of what you’d like to see.
- After you select one, we place the barcode on it and send you a cover design draft for viewing as a PDF file with low resolution.
- Your recommendations and changes will be incorporated into the design and new drafts sent. This process will continue until you are totally satisfied.
- The final layout will be completed when the cover spine thickness is determined (dependent on number of book pages and paper thickness).
- When you approve the final draft and pay the rest of the money, the completed cover file will be sent to you or the printer as a high resolution printer-ready PDF file.